While we’re all running around rescuing and fostering and feeding and spaying and neutering the overflow of cats and kittens, it’s fun to take a minute and remember a few things about them that make them unique. Just for fun on Friday, here are ten interesting cat facts… and there are so many more…
1. Your cat’s nose print is as unique as one of your fingerprints.
2. A cat can jump 5 to 7 times the height of its tail.
3. A group of cats is called a “clowder”, a group of kittens is called a “kindle” (but can we read on them?).
4. A cat’s eyes are always blue at birth and may not change to their final color for months.
5. An adult cat has four rows of whiskers on each side and 30 teeth.
6. Cats cannot taste sweets because of an incomplete gene.
7. People who would read this blog are probably ailurophiles, or lovers of cats, but those who are afraid of cats are called ailurophobes and likely will not.
8. Cats can sprint at about 30 miles per hour, but aren’t meant for long-distance running.
9. Cats are capable of vocalizing about 100 different sounds, dogs about 10.
10. Coat patterns in big and small cats seem to be derived from an evolutionary response to habitat.
Read more articles about Health and Safety and Veterinary Medicine.
Browse some rescued cats and kittens!
Best Cat Blog
Best Blog Post
Best Video Post
Read more about the Petties in this post.
All images used on this site are copyrighted to Bernadette E. Kazmarski unless otherwise noted and may not be used without my written permission. Please ask if you are interested in using one in a print or internet publication. If you are interested in purchasing a print of this image or a product including this image, check my Etsy shop or Fine Art America profile to see if I have it available already. If you don’t find it there, visit Ordering Custom Artwork for more information on a custom greeting card, print or other item.
© 2014 | www.TheCreativeCat.net | Published by Bernadette E. Kazmarski
Weekly schedule of features:
Sunday: Essays, Pet Loss, Poetry, The Artist’s Life
Monday: Adoptable Cats, TNR & Shelters
Tuesday: Rescue Stories
Wednesday: Commissioned Portrait or Featured Artwork
Thursday: New Merchandise
Friday: Book Review, Health and Welfare, Advocacy
Saturday: Your Backyard Wildlife Habitat, Living Green With Pets, Creating With Cats
And sometimes, I just throw my hands in the air and have fun!